20 Journey Drawings - Mark Making




Journey Drawings using Mark Making Techniques
- All 20 -








Photo:


Small, Sewn Flower Accessory:
I decided to draw this object because of how complex it seems. All the threads are put together so intricately, and I could imagine the different mark making techniques I could use to create the many threads. I used up the whole of the page to show off this object because I thought it'd be interesting to show all the tiny details, especially when the real object was so small. The techniques I chose were vertical lines and zigzags. I chose these because the marks they make best show the texture of the object. I faintly made lots of lines in my sketch so that it would represent lots of stitches without having to draw every one singularly.

Since my theme of journey is mental health, I thought this sketch linked quite well due to the fact that the mind of a mentally ill person is complicated just like the intricate nature of the small flower. The threads could symbolise the many thoughts (good or bad) that often flow through a troubled mind. I did not use any colour on this piece because I feel that mental health is generally linked to being negative and dull. Colour only would have made the image happier.






Flower Sequin:
To draw this flower-shaped sequin I decided to use spirals. I chose spirals because I feel that they gave the sketch the appropriate texture as they aren't rough looking, they're almost smooth. The lighter parts in each spiral gives the image an almost shiny seeming surface. I included tone in this drawing by varying the pressure I applied to the pencil to create darker lines. The shapes of the spirals were varied also from ovals to circles because I thought it'd create a 3D effect that would show the edges of the sequin the curl under/downwards slightly. I only decided to draw a few petals because of how it would link to mental health. Only a few petals are visible, just like only a few symptoms of having a mental problem are, not all can be identified. The petals of the flower symbolise the various factors/symptoms of mental health, and the centre of the flower represents the 'host' of the mental issues.

Only pencil was used to create this drawing, and I specifically pressed down quite hard to get an overall darker finished picture. This is simply because dark colours, such as black, often have connotations of the unknown because it is not visible in the dark. Mental health is mostly made up of lots of different questions, both answered and not.






Rope with Knot:
To create this image of a rope, I used loose lines to show the natural appearance of the loose strands of fibre. The other technique I used was vertical lines which I used to shade in parts of the rope to show the areas of varied light. The knot I included represents the straint put on a troubled mind, suffering from mental health, because of the many negative feelings/thoughts.
The overall shape of the image is an 'X' which can give connotations of something being wrong/incorrect. This symbolises the fact that mental health can make people feel like things are wrong when they are actually perfectly fine.

I decided to press the pencil down on the page slightly harder when outlining the knot because I wanted it to be the main focus of the picture. The darker edges bring the knot out more as the most important thing on the page, and I chose to do this because I feel that the knot can link best to mental health.






Jewel on Choker Accessory:
To draw this jewel from my choker, I decided to use the mark making techniques of scribbling and spirals. I found that a choker links to mental health because both can be very restrictive in that a choker can prevent regular neck movements, and mental health can prevent normal feelings and/or positive feelings/thoughts. I used scribbles because I felt it gave the choker the right texture to make it seem the most uncomfortable to wear. This is because mental health cannot be seen as 'comfortable', it is always there and is often irritating to live with.

The medium I used was a biro. I chose a pen because it conveyed the permanent restrictions of mental health quite well, since pen isn't erasable. I also didn't include any colour to show that there is no 'bright side' to having a constant restriction like mental health (e.g. difficulty breathing/talking because of anxiety/social anxiety).






Brown Paper Gift Bag:
This drawing includes vertical lines, which I chose to use because it perfectly shows the texture of the bag. The many multiple ridges on the outside of the bag are very clear because I evenly spaced out the lines. I also varied the pressure of my pencil on the front side of the bag so that it appears to be a darker shade. I slightly shaded the other side of the bag to show the folds, and I also used a rubber to make types of indentations, this gave my sketch form. I also used the technique of wavy lines to show the texture of the handle which was quite rough but also made from brown paper.

This drawing links to mental health because it symbolises the part of your mind where you store or hide most of your thoughts/problems when you are troubled. I decided not to draw the bag from an angle where you could see the contents of the bag because it isn't possible to see inside a mentally ill mind either. It shows that you cannot tell what is in the bag just by viewing the outside, just like you never know what someone is thinking just from their appearance.







Blanket
I chose to draw this object because of how oddly shaped it was but how simple its link to mental health is. The shape makes it basically unrecognisable but its meaning remains. A blanket is used to cover things, to shield them almost. That is what it's like with mental problems. The blanket is a metaphor for such problems, as they 'shield' the brain from the real world and the ability to experience it the way it should be. It also relates to how there problems make you behave. They prevent you from talking about it and so you keep it to yourself which is almost suffocating.

I used pencil to draw this picture to show that with the right tool/technique, it is removable. As the technique I used scratchy liner, which as well as giving it texture would convey the annoyance it would cause. The use of tone shows that the outside of the blanket is quite light, which has connotations of positivity, but underneath it's really quite dark and mysterious because it's not easy to see inside, which shows the same type of difficulty when trying to get someone to open up.






Pen Lid
For this object I decided to use the scribbling and cross hatching techniques. I used cross hatching in a red colour to convey stress and anger as they are the feelings that mental health can provoke. The 'x' shape the the cross hatching creates has connotations of something being marked or labelled as wrong. By putting the pen lid in the center of this pattern, it shows that it is a bad thing. I wanted the pen lid to be conveyed exactly like this. The pen lid is a symbol of what mental health causes. The lid of a pen literally stops ink from coming from the end, but in this case, 'mental health' (the pen lid) prevents any positive thoughts or creativity to come from the brain. This then creates a constant feeling of depression, for instance.

The scribbles that make up the image of the pen lid give off the sense that it is messy, and in terms of mental health, it's what 'messes' up the mind. Also, its lack of order/organisation shows that it is uncontrollable. Furthermore, the colour of the pen (black) conveys that mental health provides a darkness around the brain, leaving it in a very negative state.






Non-lit Electrical Light
In this drawing, I chose an electrical light with the power switched off. As I used the colour green, the image gives connotations of growth and development. However the inclusion of the non-lit bulb suggests that the ability to 'grow', as a person, has been turned off. This would be because of mental health's impacts. It would prevent non-literal growth in a beneficial way to the 'victim'.

I used zigzags for the background to loosely show that there is no colour around the bulb. The colour grey seemed perfect to achieve this as it would symbolise the insides of the brain; grey gives off emotionless and moody vibes, but is also associated with depression and loss. This describes the 'victims' feelings very effectively because of the lack of positivity.

I decided to use the technique of dots and dashes as it reminds me of morse code. This links to mental health as only a select few understand it and are able to translate/help the person speaking/suffering.






Elasticated Corset
I decided to draw a corset because it's able to describe what mental health does to a person. In mid 16th century corsets were commonly worn due to women's desires to 'perfect' their bodies by slimming down their waists. It was a very restrictive process as it forced them to be in an upright position, normal movement wasn't possible and being comfortable in them was rare. This is the type of effect mental health has. It restricts the 'victim's' thoughts to only negative things.

I used the technique of zigzags to 'colour' in the empty areas as it looks quite harsh, and mental issues are known to be very harsh and unforgiving on the mind. I also drew the lines on the corset very close together to show that not much can get through the small holes. This relates to mental health as only specific therapy/treatment/techniques are actually able to help or benefit the 'victim'. Also, it may also depend on the person trying to help. It is possible that only someone close to the sufferer would be able to help, but also, it is possible that only someone who doesn't know the person that well would be able to help as the sufferer may feel uncomfortable opening to someone who they would see regularly.






Sail Boat
This drawing of a boat, to me, has a very clear link to mental health. Usually, a boat is often related to being free or having freedom. This is because of the amount of control the owner of the boat has over it; for example, they can sail wherever they want. I also drew clouds above the boat because clouds are commonly related to dreams, and so this links to mental health because it is so limiting that it becomes a dream, for the sufferers, to be free.

I mostly used blues and greens (aquatic colours) on this drawing because they are closely related to water and/or the ocean as it appears blue a lot of the time, and the ocean is often seen as tranquil. This would also be part of the dream.

I used the technique of crossing hatching very lightly with pencil for the background. This was to give the impression that the entire drawing was on top of a piece of fabric. This is simply because the image of the boat was taken from my duvet covers and the 'stitched' look is the type of texture it has.






Food Bag Clip
Although it may not seem like it, the image of a clip I drew has a meaning and a connection to mental health.
Much like a Pen lid, this type of clip is known for preventing things such as preventing food from falling out of a bag. This is related to mental health as it, too, prevents things, however in this case it is all mental. Mental health issues can prevent many things such as regular/usual behaviour, regular emotions, and so on.

I chose to use the mark-making technique of hatching to convey that mental health has all control but yet no real pattern. It is not easy to predict the feelings or thoughts that these mental health issues will inflict. This adds to the already existing difficulty of having to live with mental problems.

I drew the image of the clip so that it was closed to show the constant grasp that mental health has on the mind. This drawing was also created using pen to show that, for some, the control mental health has is permanent, or semi-permanent; it is not easily removed.






Brain on Scrunched Paper
The brain is at the centre of all mental problems, of course, because our thoughts are what cause the possible physical issues also. For this drawing I used biro and artist pens. I chose these as they are permanent. This shows that the brain/mind cannot be erased or forgotten, and therefore the problems it creates are also difficult to erase or forget.

I used the techniques of zigzags and scribbling. I decided to use zigzags because they create a sharp looking effect which has connotations of a knife. A knife is used to cut things and in some ways is used as a weapon. Since weapons are used to hurt people, it can be related to mental health which is also harmful. It does this by creating negative thoughts and causing the ‘victim’ mental pain.

I used the technique of scribbles because they give the feeling of confusion. This also links to mental health because it causes the mind to become muddled or in a state of confusion, which is why it doesn’t seem to function normally.

The colours I used were simply natural colours because the brain looks normal but it isn’t made up of the same feelings, emotions or thoughts that the average brain would be.

I drew on top of scrunched paper to present it as messy, because no brain is perfectly ‘tidy’.







Remote Control
I believe that the reason I drew this item is apparent in its name. A remote control is something that has the ability to control something else when the correct actions are taken. This is the same as mental health’s control on the mind. This is because it is sometimes caused by a certain action/activity and it takes control, preventing the ‘host’ from having the power they want over their own thoughts and feelings.

I scrunched up some paper to create the shape of a button and stuck it down. This shows that it is the most important part of the drawing. I chose to make the play/pause button stand out because it is the main part of being able to control your thoughts and/or even your life. With mental problems present, it almost puts your life on hold (or pause). This is what may prevent close relationships or job opportunities. But as a victim, you have to try your hardest to slowly release the mental issues’ grip on that pause button, whether it is with help or by yourself.

I also recreated a paper power button as it’s important to try to turn off the control that mental problems have over the sufferer. I drew an infrared light coming from the end of the remote to show that it is turned on and actively controlling something or someone.

I used a red pen to draw the power button to show that it can even be seen as dangerous as red has connotations of this. However, it is only dangerous when it is turned on, which it is.

I used the technique of wavy lines to show that it isn’t real. The lack of solid lines shows that it’s non-realistic. Supposedly, dreams and such, produced by the mind, are only seen in a blurry way. The use of wavy lines creates this effect. The remote, of course, is not a real danger.






Sunglasses
I decided to draw a pair of sunglasses. It is able to show the 'altered' perspective that sufferers of mental health issues have. The lens' in the sunglasses provide a tinted filter which protects the eyes from sunlight. This, of course, is a positive thing. However, when thinking in terms of mental health, a filter is created to filter out the positivity in the world. Also, a tint is of a darker tone, and dark colours have connotations of evil and depression. The 'sunglasses' would turn, what used to be, a bright world into a dull one that is in a semi-permanent state of negativity.

I used the technique of hatching as I felt that the meaning behind this piece was very harsh. This technique has a very harsh appearance and so that's why I believe that it fits well.
  I also used a regular, pale pink, colouring pencil to fill in the frame of the glasses as I was simply copying what I saw in front of me.






Earphones
For this next piece I chose to draw my earphones. I was able to discover a deep link to mental health within the time I was completing my drawing. I thought about how some claim that there are constant voices in their heads making everything seem worse than it actually is and putting them down (making them feel bad). This links to the earphones as they play music that you listen to, just like the voices. So, in this case, the earphones represent mental issues sounding bad thoughts into your head.

I used the technique of contour lines as I believe that, in a way, they look like sound waves. This would show that the mental problems are supposedly active. Also the limitation of how far the waves stretch shows that they never go too far away, they're always there.






Batteries
I found that batteries have great links to mental health. The first being that batteries and mental issues both contain power (at first, at least). They are able to control things and can last for quite a while.
Another link is that they can be drained however. After a while of using the power, it starts to lose energy and so becomes weaker. This is like how mental issues work as after a while of working against them they start to fade away.

The faint images of hands in this sketch could show two things:
- that they are reaching to grab the falling batteries
- that they are throwing away the batteries
 For me they are throwing them away, which shows that they were able to drain their power and get rid of them. This is the ideal way of getting rid of mental health problems.

I used the technique of spirals as it reminds me of a tunnel but made out of string. As you try to get through it (escaping mental issues), you find yourself becoming tangled and struggling (suffering).






Time and Distance Clock
I really like the link that this image has to mental health. The clock is related to mental health issues as all problems are either permanent or temporary. When considering this, suffering with them can either seem like it's lasting for a while or is gone almost in a heartbeat. This is the effect of adding more hands on the clock (to make it seem like time is passing quicker).

I drew a clock as to get rid of or fix mental issues, you need to depend a lot on time. Everything takes time and if you try to get rid of it over a short period of time it's unlikely that you'll succeed as the method you tried will need time to take effect.
Around the clock, instead of numbers, I spelt out (not in an order) the word 'distance'. This is because you have to take a journey to reach your destination of being free from mental suffering.

I used the technique of wavy lines as they remind me of the saying 'go with the flow'. Although it seems to mean very little, to me it means to let nature take its course. Not everything can be improved or changed in the blink of an eye.






Eraser
This is definitely my favourite journey mark making drawing because of how I combined real material from the object in the process. I really like the appearance vs. reality aspect of this drawing/creation as ,mental health is able to create this effect too. The appearance of an individual with mental issues is completely misleading as it can be next to impossible to detect a problem.
Also, the fact that the object is an eraser links to mental health problems too. The use of an eraser is to get rid of a mistake, but in the case of mental health, instead of rubbing out the mistake/bad parts, it erases the good emotions. This, of course, is very limiting to the sufferer as they cannot enjoy things as much as they normal would or would like to.

I used the techniques of dots and dashes to shade in the side of the eraser just because I thought that it was an effective way of showing a gradual change in tone (where the pencil was being slightly rubbed out). This gave the effect that the pencil markings were disappearing like the feelings of positivity would when thinking in terms of mental health.






Devil Horns
This object seemed to perfectly show the appearance of mental health; it is very much like a devil. It causes problems and doesn't make anything any easier for anyone. I decided to use the techniques of stippling to create a subtle effect of fading. This was to convey the fact that at some point, but not necessarily straight away, mental health can go away, whether you've beaten it by not doing much at all or by doing as much as possible. Either way, it is a great achievement as you would no longer have the constant feeling that someone/something is controlling your feelings and/or actions.

I chose the colour red because it is most well known to be associated with evil, and that is what mental health problems are. The fact that the dots within the stippling technique have specific points that are focused on not only creates the shape of devil horns, but it conveys that mental health can have main focal points, such as changing your mood, making you doubt yourself, or turning everyone against you (subconsciously).






Nail Varnish
Although this drawing doesn't seem very complicated, I was sure to include lots of meaning into it. I used the techniques of scribbling and vertical lines for this drawing which weren't used too drastically. They may not be completely noticeable but they are in fact there. This links with mental health in every aspect for reasons that I'm sure are very clear. Mental issues are not always noticeable but that doesn't mean they're not present. The scribbles, in my eyes, represent the mind in its entirety as it is made up of lots of smaller pieces and is very messy at times. The nail varnish bottle simply acts as the skull and face around and in front of the mind, making it look a certain way, like a fake smile to hide an emotion. But in terms of nail polish, it just presents its colour.

I kept the colour dark by using a pencil to show the opposite of what you would expect a nail varnish bottle to look like (colourful). This is the harsh reality of how mental health effects things, it takes the colour from life and replaces it with depressing and sad surroundings/thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ian Murphy - Artist Research

Russell Mills - Artist Research