Stop Motion Clay Creation




Stop Motion Lesson



I found this lesson very informative and quite fun. It was nice to have a break from the regular art lessons we usually have and do something we've never done before.

- Stages of creating the stop motion
The first stage of making the stop motion creation was to come up with an idea of what to make move and how we would do it. In my group we had decided to make a tree grow, rocks roll into place, and a 'Lochness monster' move through the water.



After we'd come up with this idea, we had to then use some clay to make the shapes that would show the gradual changes in the scenes. We made various sizes of rocks which would roll into the camera shot together, we made the different sizes of stumps and eventual leaves and branches for the tree, and also we made the visible body parts, that were out of water, for the 'lochness monster'.



The actual filming process wasn't too easy but it was quite fun. Instead of taking a video, we had to take photos, and in the end we should've been able to scroll quickly through all of the photos, from beginning to end, to have a final, smoothly flowing video/slideshow.
   In my opinion, it went really well as the end product looked really good, and although it didn't last long, it still looked quite intricate with all of the different aspects that we decided to include.


- Problems whilst creating it
The first issue that my group came across was the fact that the clay didn't stay particularly moist enough for us to be able to sculpt it appropriately. It dried out very quickly and even more so when we were shaping it with our hands. There were a few cases in which some of our models became unusable as they were crumbling. Maybe next time it would be better to have a pot of water to add to the clay every now and again to keep it from drying up.



When photographing the models, another problem came about which included the positioning. As we had to move the models in order to replace them, it was important to remember the last place you put them in the shot, but we forgot to keep note multiple times and so every now and again the models seemed to jump very small distances by accident. Next time, however, we know to mark the last position they were in so that our final short film would be more accurate.


- What I liked about it 
The whole experience was very interesting as it was very different to the type of art I'm used to. After completing the creation, I was able to think about whether I would want to do anything like it in the future. Also, it was great to have an opportunity to work in groups again as I find it intriguing to find out other peoples' opinions on certain things. It was nice to come up with an idea as a team effort.


- What could've gone better?
In my opinion, if we were to do it again, it may be better to think about making the whole thing a little more complex as it was very simple and I feel that it definitely could've been made more interesting to make people want to watch it. Another thing to think about would be to add a story line/purpose to the slideshow/film. By including a meaning I feel as though it would create an opportunity to make people consider a point maybe rather than just entertaining them.


- Would I do it again?
Although I thoroughly enjoying the experience, I don't believe I would want to continue to use clay in my work later on as I can see that it would be very time consuming, and also it wouldn't be easy to take and continue to work on at home (which would be necessary as it would take so long to finish).      Also, another point, the camera was very technical and I don't believe that learning the workings of a camera for the sake of using clay would be something I'd want to invest time into. I think that I would reconsider using clay again if I already had a working knowledge of the controls on a proper photography camera.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ian Murphy - Artist Research

Russell Mills - Artist Research