In-Class Sketches



In-Class Drawings


This is my very first sketch. In the beginning I didn't think it would turn out as good as it did. But although I think it's a good drawing, I think it could've been made more interesting maybe with some other textures. For example, I could have jagged some lines when shading in the letters to create a more aggressive feel to it. This would've worked well because the newspaper article I took it from was about mental health, and in some cases, mental health can cause anger/aggression.
 For this drawing, I 'zoomed in' onto a picture in a newspaper article. I knew that the drawing wouldn't be recognisable as there is not enough of the background to be able to tell what it shows. I do like this drawing although this section of the picture was quite small and so maybe my drawing wasn't as accurate because I couldn't make out what some of it was. I sketched, to the best of my ability, what I thought I could see in the image and I believe that it came out alright. Maybe I could've chosen a slightly bigger picture so that I can be more accurate with the small details I include.
This sketch took a while to do simply because it was difficult to  find a certain area where a specific 4 letters could be found. I like the way I darkened some letters to reveal a hidden message though, as you have to read through the words in order to find the correct order of the shaded letters. To keep the 'message' somewhat hidden, I could've used a lighter colour that didn't stand out as much, or possibly a small extra detail in each letter. That way, it would have to be looked at in depth for the message to be acknowledged.
The words in the sketch were interesting as they show what the newspaper was about; mental health.
This image was also when I used a view finder to focus in onto a smaller area of the newspaper. I like the way that it is presented as it's quite abstract and I do like the way that the texture of the paper affected the pattern of the shaded area. If I were to repeat this sketch, I don't think I would change anything simply because it's an effective piece that could get people thinking about what the sketch is showing.
I enjoyed drawing this image as 'bubble writing' is something I've done since I was a child. I decided to shade letters to show a message to do with mental health. To make the message a little less obvious I shaded a higher-case 'A' instead of a lower-case 'a' because it isn't common to see capital letters in the middle of words. However, I would've liked to add a bit more to the background, possibly to give it more meaning and/or depth. A variety in tone would make the sketch a lot more interesting.
 This sketch is of a wrist with a bracelet type accessory on. I decided to shade mostly around the area of the bracelet because it was the most exciting thing in the picture even though a bracelet isn't really exciting at all. The shading made it the most prominent thing on the paper which I liked. I possibly could've added some more detail around the very edges of the drawing so that there was a little more to it. I also could've left the area next to the bracelet slightly lighter still so that the bracelet remained as the main focus.
In this sketch, I varied my techniques by softly shading the largest section of the paper instead of pressing down harder. I quite like how I gently shaded on the white section to create 'folds' that I saw in the picture, but without comparing this sketch to the actual image, it may be unidentifiable. The slightly different tones and patterns - from the texture of the paper - create an abstract piece with many shapes. This picture was, of course, drawn a lot larger than it should've been so it gives a sense of mystery as it is not quite possible to make out what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ian Murphy - Artist Research

Russell Mills - Artist Research